Sunday, August 24, 2014

Language Learning-Week #3

Good afternoon!

This past week has been a busy one for the team. We have spent the week working on language. Language in Lamego is....Cisena!  Each morning we met up and our brains were filled to the max (at least it felt that way). We learned their alphabet, the different way to form our mouths to say letters, and foundational tools that will help us move forward in our learning. Karis (wife of the team leaders) headed up this week and she has been wonderful. Each of us had a language helper that was from the village. They were very patient with us and we all had quite a few laughs as we tried and tried and tried to pronounce everything correctly. We even taught our language helpers a few words in English. I am thankful that through this, seeds of friendship have been planted. I am thankful that we were out of our comfort zones. And I'm thankful that we are living amongst a people group that doesn't speak English. It is one more way that we are having to rely on the Lord, asking Him to build these relationships and for Him to receive the glory for this. We will all continue with having language helpers. Although this week seemed like "alot" at the time, it has only spurred each of us to get out there and learn more.

This week I have begun to work with a young girl named Fatima. At a later time I will "introduce" you to her, but for now just know that she is wonderful. At first she was very shy but this past Thursday's session she began to show a bit of her personality and she has spunk folks. I will work with her 2x/week until January, when she will hopefully go back to school here in Lamego.

Lastly, one of our assignments was to find certain places in Lamego. It's a big place so because of this, I have been able to do some more exploring of Lamego.  I have also had the chance to meet friends of Karis' who have graciously welcomed me to their village. This really is the best part. Faces are becoming familiar and saying hello is becoming sweeter because of it.

Thank you to everyone who has sent messages of encouragement and who are praying. I appreciate them more than I will ever be able to share.

Prayer Requests:
*For Fatima, that she would gain strength in her hands and that she would know Jesus.
*The Koehns: their oldest is about to head back to school in Kenya.
*For the language that I have learned-may it stick. And may I continue to grow in language.
*For friendships. I have met a few ladies that I am hoping will become dear friends.


Love from Lamego,

Ashley  Rebecca




Life on my front porch!

My language helper, Eugenia.

Xikola (School)

Xpitali (Hospital)


Gombe (River)











1 comment :

  1. Well done, Rebecca! Makes it seem like you are just in the next town.
    Love you & miss you ( A LOT)!!
    Momma Bear

    ReplyDelete